Monday 13 April 2015

Snowbombing Festival 2015- Mayrhofen 06.04.15-11.04.15



Last week I headed off to join my friends for Snowbombing festival in the beautiful Austrian town of Mayrhofen. With the days spent skiing, snowboarding or falling flat on one's face (or in my case, crashing into a DJ booth, skis, poles and about 30 beer drinking males who thought I'd bombed it into their conversation out of enthusiasm for a Stiegl. Thanks for encouraging me to bomb it down that slope Leanne! love you longtime :)) and the nights spent partying, I had my comfy party trainers at the ready for the week ahead.



After a couple of skiing lessons last year, I felt I was ready for anything-errmm not so. I must thank my friends for praising me once every thirty seconds for just staying on my feet! A few more lessons needed me thinks. But it has to be said, Snowbombers are a crazy kind. Staying up until the early hours, then getting around 3 or 4 hours sleep before hitting the slopes in the morning is not easy and takes an energetic and enthusiastic kind of being.




On Monday we headed to the Racket club, Snowbombing's biggest venue to see Carl Cox who is known for having a residency in Ibiza. Although I bopped along in warm up mode, I wasn't so bubbled up by this guy. I do enjoy house when the DJ seems into it, but his music along with the masses of strung-out bombers around made me feel a little like I was in purgatory! I was grateful for the good company that night, otherwise I'd have left a lot earlier. Thankfully it wasn't a sign of things to come.


Tuesday however- a different ball game altogether. It was the Mad Hatters Street Party, and we made
it in time all dressed up for the start of the wonderful Basement Jaxx set. They played all of their classics, highlighted by the African drums and lit up dancers. My favourite moments included 'Romeo' and of course 'Where's youuuuur heeaaaaad at'. 





                             

The night came to a massive explosion when we headed to the Racket club for Skrillex. Having seen him at last years Sziget festival I knew we were in for a fun set. He works really hard at hyping the audience up, and is always on point with his samples which this year included 'O.T Genasis-CoCo', 'Beyonce- 7/11', The Lion King (cute projections also added in) and he finished once again with a sample of 'Benny Benassi-Cinema'. The lights and the man himself were a treat, and he managed to have us all dancing to the early hours.






We used Wednesday to recover ready for the Forest Party on Thursday, which we approached as festively as possible. A light hearted costume of 7 Dwarves made us feel playful and ready for mischief in the mountain forest which is one of the most beautiful settings for a party I have ever been to!




Us with the lovely James Zabiela

                   
Two great sets from the lovely James Zabiela (who smiled all the way through his set- heartmelt!) and 2ManyDJ's who again had some great samples finishing off with Supergrass 'Alright' which was a satisfying way of reminding us that we are young! We are free!....keep our teeth...(you see where this is going...:)



A final night went off with a bang again in the forest, warming up with Idris Elba who just looked like he was having great time and that was infectious to us all watching and joining in the vibe. Thanks to the lovely boys that volunteered to have us on their shoulders, we had the  best view of Rudimental's set. By this point we were using up a lot of the money on our wristbands, so it's safe to say we were in a happy state! Being up close, outside with a view of the snowy mountains singing along to 'Free' and 'Feel the Love' was a memorable way to end the festival.

Idris Elba


A final goodbye was had after sampling a bit of Sigma at the Racket club. We headed back home at around 3.30am, which gave me a nice but risky 2 hours to shower, pack and head off to get the Zillertal, a train, a taxi, two planes, a Heathrow Express and a 328 to Kilburn High road. SHATTERED!

Thanks so much girls for a great week! Snowbombing is certainly fun and not for the faint hearted.
Find out more about the festival here:




No comments:

Post a Comment